Sunday, December 16, 2007

Mini Fat Bastard's Fête - New Zealand Meat Pies

Aaron kindly drove us for a shopping spree at Fairway - Red Hook (ummmm cheese and good olive oil) . On the way, we snacked on his native food of choice, curry vegetable and mince meat pies :

Dub Pies!

tastiness...
_____________

I am adding to Alyssa's post. First off: I want a silver Volkswagon golf. I am going to steal your baby mama's Aaron. Anything that heats my cold ass has my vote.

Secondly, Aaron just confirmed the fact that everyone from New Zealand knows everybody else. When we stumbled into the sweet bread smells of Dub Pies he started chatting up the Kiwi working there like the sheep hugging lothario he is. Then we were told we would have to wait fifteen minutes for the curry vegetable pies so Chris, Alyssa and I settled into a booth while Aaron asked the counter girl to prom or something. I debated getting a flat white, the Kiwi's answer to the latte, but opted for a cappuccino with Milo (New Zealand's famous powdered chocolate drink) on top instead.

My friend Jenny from Wellington explained to me that "pasties" and "pies" were what you ate at 3 in the morning from street vendors when your mates were piss drunk. According to the BBC, they are derivatives of Cornish pies or British mince pies, respectively. According to Aaron, they make you have a fat ass so beware of eating them all the time. It was a cold rainy drizzly day in Brooklyn and these subtly curried little pies were the perfect savory dish. Aaron lifted up the tops of them and put "tomahhto"/ketchup inside of the minced meat ones. And the world was magical.

Pasties:

Pies:

No comments: